Do you consider time away from making art a missed opportunity? Are you constantly investigating new tools and techniques to push your creations to the next level? Do you enjoy fostering the creative spirit in others? If so, Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of the most epic games in the world, is seeking a lead character artist to help develop Blizzard’s next hit game!
Work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers, and designers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is centered on collaborative game development. We are gamers at heart at Blizzard – across all levels - and it shows in our craft.
The ideal candidate has experience modeling and texturing character assets in a stylized universe. A solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. The lead 3D character artist must have experience leading a team, developing new pipelines for asset creation and be well-versed in production tools -- Maya, Photoshop, etc. In addition the ideal candidate would be able to foster a creative and energetic environment for a group of peers who are passionate about making great games. He or she would help members of the character team to grow artistically, and would help maintain a high level of visual and technical quality for all characters.
- Develop, maintain, and evolve the character pipeline.
- Ensure timely completion of character team’s commitments at the desired quality bar.
- Serve as an active partner with leads and art director to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of the game.
- Review and approve 3D character assets for aesthetic and technical accuracy.
- Mentor team on skills and process; provide career growth guidance to team.
- Work with art director other art leadership within Blizzard to ensure that the team’s direction is in sync with the Blizzard style and philosophies.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in game development modeling and texturing characters using Maya, Z-Bush / Mudbox and Photoshop
- Experience working with an art director in developing a unique and cohesive modeling and texturing style for characters
- Able to contribute to, interpret and clearly communicate art direction to a team to ensure accurate and timely execution
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- A passion for video games
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven ability to mentor effectively
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles as a senior or lead character artist
- Proven experience developing new art process, tools, and pipelines
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album).
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and its affiliated companies is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.