The Human Resources Generalist will be providing Human Resources generalist consulting to Activision’s Vicarious Visions Studio regarding employee relations, training & development, change management, and performance management.
Employee Relations 40%
Training & Development 20%
Change Management 20%
Performance Management 15%
Miscellaneous projects as needed 5%
- Work with leadership to identify Studio’s needs, and build HR strategies to support those needs, including identifying most effective organization structure, organization and individuals capability needs and resource needs, employee retention and engagement
- Build relationships with Studio’s managers to ensure we can be as proactive as possible about engaging and retaining the Studio’s talent
- Promote Vicarious Vision’s culture and identify ways to integrate culture into HR processes/initiatives
- Client management and consulting including coaching managers on employee relations, written warnings, Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs), mediating discussions, investigations, and terminating employees
- Oversee consistent and compliant execution of company benefits
- Provide analysis and recommendations for organizational change, help set direction and provide appropriate resources
- Help roll-out performance management process to client groups, provide training to managers on an as needed basis, answer manager’s questions, provide recommendations on review language, development goals and career development plans if need be, etc.
- Oversee and administer an annual HR Review and related follow-up requirements. Facilitate discussion regarding trends affecting the Studio development.
- Develop, oversee and administer annual training and development programs linked to HR Review
- Partner closely with hiring managers and Studio Recruiter to ensure recruitment needs of studio are met; participate in interview & selection process for select management and leadership roles
- Partner with Studio Recruiter to ensure accurate processing of visas and work with legal and HR Operations to ensure adherence to global mobility policy
- Monitor and ensure company compliance with changing employment laws, update management.
- Handle day to day HR, policy and other queries from employees and managers
- Administer Employment Contract processes. (New contracts, renewal notices and renewals)
- Manage employee databases and systems (e.g. Oracle Fusion, Timeslips, Filemaker); ensure accuracy and timely updating of all employee databases
- Collaborate with corporate head office to work on global HR initiatives
- Manage other special projects on an as needed basis
Scope of the Position
No direct personnel management responsibilities
Primary Working Relationships
Operations Team (IT and Administration)
Studio HRG peer group
Secondary Working Relationships
Labor and Immigration Attorneys - Corporate
Benefits Team - Corporate
Compensation Team – Corporate
Payroll Team - Corporate
Bachelor’s degree in related field.
Special Knowledge or Skills:
- The ability to build relationships and connect with game developers
- A great sense of humor is an asset
- Highly collaborative and a team player with other studio management members, employees, and managers
- A strong ability to influence people and decisions and to become a trustworthy partner within the organization
- Ability to work independently required
- Keeps confidentiality, establishes trust and credibility
- Strong bias for action and a keen sense of urgency with limited guidance and superior results.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and navigate a highly matrixed organization.
- Strong conflict resolution, decision making, and communication skills a must
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, and implement new projects and programs
- Highly proficient in MS Excel, PowerPoint, and HR Systems knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor communication based on organizational level.
- Ability to understand the company’s compensation philosophy, the relationship between compensation and benefits as a total package and can explain all plans and programs to employees.
- Analytical skills to understand business concepts and rapidly translate them into HR actions.
- Experience in all areas of the Human Resources functions including recruiting, new hire processing and paperwork, benefits administration, employee counseling, employee reviews, legal issues relating to HR, and management training programs
- 5 to 7 years in progressively responsible HR roles, preferably in a high-tech and creative environment; games is a plus
- Previous experience successfully operating as a strategic HR professional and business partner
- Experience in teaching soft skills courses such as giving feedback, communication, and conflict resolution an asset
- Strong employee relations experience required i.e. investigations, disciplinaries, employee/manager coaching, etc.
- Experience in entertainment and/or other creative industry helpful, but not required.
- Experience with working in an organization with a parent company an asset
HR Generalist Responsibilities (Additional Detail):
Administers various human resources plans and procedures for all company personnel; assists in development and implementation of policies and procedures. Acts as liaison with Corporate HR.
Participates in executive staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Process various studio-wide communications
- General Employee Relations
- Coaching Managers as needed
- Counseling employee’s as needed
- HR Process execution:
- Administers compensation program; monitors performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
- Provide guidance and execute internal promotions, new hire compensation, market/equity adjustments, and retention programs
- Maintains and updates HRIS Oracle records and obtains reports as needed.
- Oversees timekeeping system updating and making changes as needed; – Timeslips/Kronos interface
- Audits bi-weekly payroll processing
- Handles employee relations counseling, and exit interviewing.
- Responds to Unemployment Claims
- Back up for Studio Executive Assistant leave processing with corporate
- Back up for Studio Executive Assistant on benefits administration to include enrollment, claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, open enrollment facilitation and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Oversees and acts as backup for new hire on-boarding process
- Oversees Recognition Programs:
- Peer Awards - administered by Studio Executive Assistant
- Service Awards – administered by Studio Executive Assistant
- Provides coaching and counseling on appropriate training and development needs
- Researches appropriate programs as needed
- Works with Studio Management to establish annual training/development program
- Ensure compliance requirements met annually
- Compliance Training
- Partner with corporate on completion of Affirmative Action reports
Commitment to Learning and Self Development
Flexible and Adaptable
Honesty and Integrity
At Activision, we believe great games start with great people. But this place is not for just anyone… it’s for the best.
We’ve been writing video game history since 1979, elevating ourselves to be one of the most influential and successful interactive entertainment companies in the world. Our company’s mission is to tirelessly pursue both creative excellence and commercial success, focusing deeply on blockbuster franchises that have re
defined pop culture. We achieve that through our immensely talented development teams, and the operational expertise of our management, marketing, and corporate services.
The people who work here are highly engaged in what they do and with whom they work. Why? We expect that our people will deliver results that impact the company from their very first day, and every day after that. Our people learn and grow quickly, and everyone is continually challenged to take their “game” to the next level. Our annual goals are nothing short of “Make History.” Are you ready? If so, we welcome you to apply and join our amazing team.
Activision Blizzard and Activision Publishing are headquartered in Santa Monica, California. Activision Blizzard is the parent company of Activision Publishing and Blizzard Entertainment, providing corporate shared services (e.g., HR, IT, Finance, Legal, Sales, and Supply Chain) for both companies globally. Activision is a global interactive entertainment software leader and the world’s largest independent video game publisher.
The company’s product portfolio includes Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty® and Skylanders Universe®, established licensed properties like Spider-Man™ and Cabela’s®, as well as Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft®, Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® franchises.