Nix Hydra Games is seeking a Designer to join our team. This person will be a key member of a team for a new project from Day 1! This is the perfect opportunity for someone who loves working on small teams and having a voice that’s heard in a productive and collaborative work environment. As can be observed by the content of this job listing we are not interested in corporate fluff, big talkers, and people who aren’t 110% competent and dedicated to what they do. We expect everyone on the team to be proactive and take great pride in their craft. The proper candidate must also be passionate for or enjoy making games of any genre for a heavily female oriented target audience. Check out our website at www.nixhydragames.com and our game Egg Baby for more information about the company and our current products.
- Designers will:
- come up with great ideas
- write documentation
- integrate and/or tune features using 3rd party and proprietary tools
- be testers
- and more…
- We expect anyone we hire to be diverse and understand all areas of game development: a basic understanding of art, audio, programming and hardware. You don’t have to be an artist, an audio engineer, or a programmer; you just have to be able to “feed” them.
- Measure twice, cut once. We believe in planning and so should you. You will be required to write GDDs and provide work estimates for any associated design tasks. You must think ahead about what is being built, and how it interacts with everything else in the game. Weird concept, we know.
- Meet with team members to ensure everyone understands the goal and content of designs BEFORE implementation. That also means taking constructive criticism and knowing how and when to assimilate feedback from peers.
- Constantly review the implementation of features and assets to ensure that they coincide with designs.
Need to have:
- 2+ year(s) of game design experience OR
- Degree centered in video game design
- PROFICIENCY in Word and Excel (NOT “I can open and save a document”)
- Ability to use Photoshop on some level
- Experience with at least one bug DB software: JIRA, DevTrack, Mantis, etc.
- Experience with at least one source control software: Perforce, SVN, Alienbrain, etc.
Much more likely to get the job (in order of importance):
- Skilled creative writer
- Shipped a game for a female target audience from start to finish
- Shipped an MMO from start to finish
- Experience with iOS, Android, or Windows Phone platforms
- Art and/or Audio background