The Heroes of the Storm team is seeking a highly motivated, positive, and experienced technical manager to support our engineers and engineering culture. The engineering department manager is responsible for facilitating each engineer's career development, motivating and monitoring them, working with leads to evaluate their performance, and providing coaching and counseling as needed.
The successful candidate champions department standards, helps hire new engineers and encourages and realizes training opportunities to ensure individuals are contributing their best efforts to the team. The ideal candidate has an engineering background and experience in the games industry.
- Develop an interpersonal relationship with all engineers; know their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire engineering staff.
- Facilitate communication and feedback between engineers and the engineering department leads.
- Provide coaching (IDPs, mentoring, one-on-ones).
- Counseling as needed (including PIPs and other corrective / disciplinary actions).
- Monitor and review each individual's progress.
- Organize regular performance appraisals.
- Assist production and department leads with work assignment suggestions.
- Regularly execute department meetings and assist with various scheduling needs.
- Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training and conferences for the engineering team.
- Seek collaborative resolution to both intra and inter team conflicts.
- Coordinate recruitment. Assist the engineering department with resumes, phone screening, and interviews. Develop the recruiting process, and proactively seek new avenues for engineering recruitment.
- Contribute to a positive work environment.
- Assist in the documentation and evolution of department processes, practices and principles.
- Create and maintain wiki repositories consisting of department information.
- Promote the engineering culture and Blizzard’s "learn & grow" value.
- Develop a general knowledge of the engineering infrastructure.
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or other technical developers
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices
- Good cross-disciplinary communications experience between engineering, production, design, and art
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Approachable, relaxed, and friendly demeanor
- A passion for video games
- Degree in management, computer science, engineering, or equivalent professional training
- Experience programming game systems