The hearthstone team is seeking a highly motivated, positive and experienced technical manager to support our engineers and engineering culture. The engineering department manager is responsible for facilitating each engineer's career development, motivating and monitoring them, working with the department lead to evaluate their performance, and providing coaching and counseling as needed. In addition, we expect there to be an opportunity for the person filling this position to contribute to the development effort by doing smaller, non-critical patch engineering assignments as a secondary priority.
- Develop an interpersonal relationship with all engineers; know their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire engineering staff.
- Facilitate communication and feedback between engineers and the engineering department leads.
- Provide coaching (IDPs, mentoring, one-on-ones).
- Counseling as needed (including PIPs and other corrective / disciplinary actions).
- Monitor and review each individual's progress.
- Organize regular performance appraisals.
- Assist production and department leads with work assignment suggestions.
- Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training and conferences for engineering team.
- Coordinate recruitment. Assist the engineering department with resumes, phone screening, and interviews. Develop the recruiting process, and proactively seek new avenues for engineering recruitment.
- Some coding responsibility for tools or game features. This is a secondary priority for this role, but a good opportunity given the smaller size of our engineering department.
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or other technical developers
- Experience programming game systems
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices
- Good cross-disciplinary communications experience between engineering, production, design, and art
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Approachable, relaxed, and friendly demeanor
- A passion for video games
- Degree in management, computer science, engineering, or equivalent professional training