The Software Engineering Manager provides day to day leadership to the software engineering team. The scope of this role will include technical analysis of game requirements; review of the architecture and design of game systems; enforcing coding standards; evaluating the feasibility of the integration of new technologies; scoping and estimation of projects; ensuring timely and useful code reviews; and review of technical documentation. This role also includes coordination of team member’s tasks; communication with technical management and other departments; reporting of status and risks; and working effectively with internal and external partners.
The Software Engineering Manager reports to the Studio Technical Director, but will interface with other department leads on a regular basis. It is expected that the Software Engineering Manager has extensive knowledge and experience at writing code, but will not be expected to be writing code day-to-day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide career development and daily management/tasking of team members.
- Be an advocate for productivity improvement and risk mitigation efforts.
- Evaluate performance of team members and ensure completion of required and suggested training.
- Enforce and evolve coding standards and best practices
- Work with other departments and production to set and evolve expectations and deliverables for the engineering group.
- Perform other functional duties in support of the normal operations of the engineering group.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years of game development experience.
- 2 years of management/leadership experience in a technical environment.
- B.S. degree in a technical field or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership to a team of engineers.
- Deep C/C++ experience, C#/.NET programming experience a plus.
- At least 2 games shipped over the last 10 years with a senior level title or above.
- Multiple shipped titles AAA console or PC titles.
- Good communication skills and ability to work effectively on shared projects with designers, artists, testers, and other developers.
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum environment a plus.