Gameloft NZ is adding an Economy Design Director to define and drive successful monetization on one or more games. The Economy Design Director will be the go-to person overseeing the monetization strategy as well as working hands-on with analytics to make informed decisions based on the numbers and ultimately ensure monetization success. We are looking for positive individuals who are inspired by working in a team setting and who naturally motivate those around them.
As an economy Design director your responsibility is to understand how a game works as a service for its customers and how the customers behave in it, identifying and developing the purchase drivers in the game economy context, and providing constant data-driven recommendation on design, tuning and pricing in order to improve game financial performance.
To do this, pre-release, you're able to design the virtual products a game will offer, define metrics that allow you to individually measure their impact in a given title, and work closely with the Head office Monetization team & Game Economy designers to see those design refined and metrics implemented.
Once the game is launched, you're able to analyse the collected data and report which are the performing/under performing aspects of the game economic model, why, and provide solutions to Gameloft management.
Your day to day duties include:
- Manage team of game economy designers and report to head office for products in development.
- Defining the virtual products and their statistics with the development team, and understanding how each of them contributes to the game dynamics.
- Identifying the potential sale drivers for the different product categories in the game economy, defining the key points of exposure for those drivers.
- Balancing the needs for those virtual products, their relation, life cycle, and their streams of availability.
- Managing pricing as to create specific price point roles, implement selling strategies for higher price points.
- Regularly provide user feedback and state/price point tuning to development team based on play-testing, both during game development and post-release.
- Analyse the evolution of the metrics you defined to spot both monetization bottlenecks and facilitators, then report suggestions for the game design or strategy accordingly.
This is a position requiring a mix of strong economy and marketing knowledge with passion for analytical game design and the emerging free-to-play business model.
- Strong sensitivity to game play and game design, understanding how to build needs and emotions in the context of a game.
- Strong analytical and formal thinking, able to break problems down in their key variables and identify the relations between them.
- Strong econometrics skills, able to model problems into quantitative systems, and draw qualitative conclusions out of quantitative data.
- Statistic knowledge, able to formulate ratios and indexes specific to each game, identifying specific weaknesses and strengths in its economy design.
- Strong marketing knowledge, able to formulate adequate selling strategies to improve the financial performance.
- Understanding of client/server architecture and data collecting pipeline and mining
- Graduate degree in Economics or BA, preferably specialized in Marketing or Strategic direction.
- Fluent written and spoken English, concise writing skills.
- Mastery of Excel.
- Deep, up-to-date knowledge of the free-to-play market, both web-based and on smartphones.
- Passion for games on all existing formats Console Video Games, Mobile Games, Arcade Games & Traditional Games
- Previous experience in econometrics / data mining
- Mastering of UI prototyping tools such as Flash
- Experience in community managing, marketing or product manager
- 1-5 years' experience as product manager or relevant game designer role in game industry.