Just as every good swarm needs an overlord to keep them managed, coordinated and armed with the support they need for success, the StarCraft II team is seeking a highly motivated, positive and experienced overlord design manager to support the various roles within the design group. This position encompasses managing game, level, and technical designers as well as writers. You’ll be responsible for facilitating each designer's career development, motivating and monitoring them, working with leads to evaluate their performance, and providing coaching and counseling as needed. You will also champion department standards, help hire new designers, and encourage and realize training opportunities to ensure folks are contributing their best efforts to the team.
The ideal candidate has comprehensive knowledge of the state of the game industry, a solid grasp of the software development life cycle as it relates to games, and design team personnel roles and responsibilities. Apply and deploy today!
- Develop an interpersonal relationship with all designers; know their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire design staff.
- Facilitate communication and feedback between designers and the design department leads.
- Provide coaching (IDPs, mentoring, one-on-ones) and counseling as needed (including PIPs and other corrective / disciplinary actions).
- Monitor and review each individual's progress and organize regular performance appraisals.
- Assist production and department leads with work assignment suggestions.
- Regularly execute department meetings and assist with various scheduling needs.
- Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training and conferences for design teams.
- Seek collaborative resolution to both intra- and inter- team conflicts.
- Coordinate and develop the recruiting process by assisting design leads with resumes, phone screening, and interviews, while proactively seeking new avenues for recruiting new designers.
- Assist in the documentation and evolution of department processes, practices and principles.
- Create and maintain wiki repositories consisting of department information.
- Contribute to a positive work environment while promoting the design culture and Blizzard’s "Learn & Grow" core value.
- Develop a general knowledge of the infrastructure of our various design groups.
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring designers or other technical developers
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies and practices
- Good cross-disciplinary communications experience between engineering, production, design, and art
- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative
- Approachable, relaxed, and friendly demeanor
- A passion for video games
- Degree in management, game design, or equivalent professional training
- Experience developing story, levels, and / or game systems