Sony Santa Monica is looking for a contract collision designer! For this role you will need the following:
- Contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environment/level collision utilizing technical art skills. Work with the Art and Design team to create a collision sheet that matches the art visually while maintaining the integrity of the original design
- Responsibilities include 3D modeling/sculpting, development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals. Must possess ability to effectively collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Art Director, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the games design to support communication and allow better participation in discussions.
- Facilitates requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the collision/ level sheet process as requested.
- Actively develops skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- Additional duties might include light design or art tasks.
- Work with programming to address collision related issues that can’t be solved in the level.
- Document the metrics used for jumps and special move heights distances. Help develop a comprehensive rule set for building collision.
- Manage (often conflicting) requests from multiple departments.
Education & Experience:
- No prior industry needed.
- Pluses: Previous design / art experience. Previous QA testing experience.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) is home to the PlayStation(R) family of products, including the PlayStation(R)3 (PS3 TM), PlayStation(R) Vita (PS Vita), PlayStation(R) Mobile and PlayStation(R)Network. Founded in 1994, SCEA has grown into a leading global computer entertainment brand and continues to redefine interactive consumer entertainment. Since the original PlayStation(R) first revolutionized the world of gaming, SCEA has repeatedly set the benchmark for innovation in home and portable entertainment through amazing gameplay experiences that inspire people across the world. Based in Foster City, CA, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and employs over 2,104 people in offices located in Foster City, CA, San Diego, CA, Santa Monica, CA and Bend, OR. It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.