Toys For Bob are the creators of the innovative Skylanders video game and toy franchise. We've made games for over 22 years now on every conceivable platform and have never worked harder and been more proud of anything we've ever done - in games and in life. TFB is located in Novato, California, a quick 20 minute drive north from the Golden Gate Bridge through scenic Marin County. The studio is a congenial mix of game-industry veterans, energetic new developers, and everything in-between, and tries to downplay hierarchy with the goal of allowing the best ideas to float to the top. Our studio has a fun and laid back vibe. If you like working in a place that looks like you're on a tropical island then you're going to dig our environment. And for those of you that love your pooch, we are a dog-friendly studio.
We are currently on the hunt for talented, creative, and very passionate Character Modeler to take part in developing characters for our next title. The ideal candidate will thrive in a collaborative environment, possess outstanding communication skills, and have a desire to assist with the creation of awesome games. Please note this is an onsite, temporary assignment.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Develop high resolution character sculpts that aid in the development of advanced texture and material applications for use with in-game characters.
- Collaborate directly with concept and animation artists to ensure the quality of the content capitalizes on new industry trends and techniques and delivers characters that are both distinctive and memorable.
- Work closely with the Director, Toys and Characters and team leads to sculpt characters which enhance narrative arcs and complement the global aesthetic of the game.
- Construct meshes which effectively develop and communicate the persona of the character and develop a foundation for animation.
- Meet established quality standards by creating visually stunning character models which are balanced against runtime performance.
- Balance quality with efficiency when working under tight deadlines.
- Follow and maintain pipelines and technical requirements.
The skills and experience you'll need:
- 4+ years experience in developing character models, textures, and skins.
- Bachelor's degree or diploma with an emphasis on Art.
- Demonstrated ability to digitally sculpt/model & texture both high & low polygon characters.
- Strong knowledge & understanding of human anatomy with accurate proportions, form, and details.
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience - Photoshop, Maya, 3DSMax, ZBrush
- Ability to construct and elaborate on characters based on key reference or concepts
- Experience with managing polygon count and texture budgets
- Passionate, creative, and organized
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and succeed in a diverse work environment.
- Self-motivated team player who proactively seeks feedback and communication.
- Technical problem solving is a must.
And you'll really get our attention if you have:
- Portfolio showing multiple samples of character models/textures
- Models should include high poly, low poly, and all texture passes (including normal maps)
- A keen understanding of form and a critical eye for proportions and silhouettes and an understanding of fabric, drape and texture.