An Audio Designer designs, oversees, and implements a full range of audio features on a game project. The Designer refines and alters these sounds until the desired quality and impact are achieved in the game. This requires in-depth communications with other team members to define the desired creative goals, a great ear to design and refine excellent audio and diligent attention to detail in the implementation of the sounds. The Sound Designer is involved with our games from preproduction through to completion, and will have a private, sound-proofed office in our studio.
Toys For Bob are the creators of the innovative Skylanders video game and toy franchise. We’ve made games for over 22 years now on every conceivable platform and have never worked harder and been more proud of anything we’ve ever done - in games and in life. TFB is located in Novato, California, a quick 20 minute drive north from the Golden Gate Bridge through scenic Marin County. The studio is a congenial mix of game-industry veterans, energetic new developers, and everything in-between, and tries to downplay hierarchy with the goal of allowing the best ideas to float to the top. Our studio has a fun and laid back vibe. If you like working in a place that looks like you’re on a tropical island then you’re going to dig our environment. And for those of you that love your pooch, we are a dog-friendly studio.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
• Design, edit, implement and test sound effects for the game.
• Pro-actively determine audio needs for the game, and pro-actively address them
• Implement audio using powerful in-house scripting tools.
• Mix and master cut-scenes, and other areas of the game.
• Participate in Sound Department initiatives and/or tool development.
• Coordinate with game designers and the audio director to reach audio aesthetic goals.
• Coordinate recording sessions.
• May coordinate international localization of audio as well as non-audio content, as needed.
• Other duties assigned as required.
The skills and experience we’re looking for:
• Three or more years of related experience.
• A minimum of two shipped titles in an audio design capacity.
• A bachelor's degree in music or sound design is preferred.
• Proficiency in designing creative, nuanced sound on schedule.
• Proficiency in digital audio authoring software such as Ableton, Sound Forge, etc.
• Experience with audio implementation software (FMOD, Wwise) and established game audio implementation techniques (emitters, mixing systems, animation systems, etc.).
• Good understanding of the technical restrictions around video game audio including performance, memory management, streaming capabilities of game consoles, etc
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and problem-solving ability are essential.
• Study of media studies, music, human/computer interaction, or communications
• Demonstrable passion for developing high quality audio, and games.
• Seek and be open to feedback and suggestions from others.
• Be flexible and responsive to the needs of the team and value working relationships.
• Contribute ideas for features and improvements as the engine evolves.
• Make and stick to a realistic schedule.
• Regularly communicate progress.
• Report problems and revised expectations as soon as they become apparent.
• Experience in shipping multiple Wii, X360, or PS3 games.
Really catch our eye with:
• Experience in creating and/or digitally manipulating music
• Programming and/or scripting skills