Our ideal candidate will be responsible for the overall visual look of game development projects, and supervising the efforts of the assigned Art Teams. The Art Director carries the vision to ensure fidelity and consistency from internal concept artists, character artists, environment artists, animators, FX artists, and UI designers with responsibility to deliver the most visually compelling game in service of the overall game experience. He or she will be involved with art schedules, milestone deliverables, and setting standard procedures and expectations. The ability to communicate and work closely with separate disciplines with a unified direction is a must.
- Teams up closely with the project Director, Producers, Technical Director and other team Leads to address all issues related to artistic needs, including: defining the stylistic vision, establishing and maintaining aesthetic standards, influencing the technical direction of the project to best support the artistic goals, and contributing accurate scheduling information to production department.
- Directs tasks across multiple milestones/duration of project. Works on longer range projects and planning. Approves the planning of project milestones with the Leads team and Production via Agile.
- An advocate and director of the Art department and processes within the team- serving as a key contact at a project lead level and between teams. Represents and communicates art department's successes, challenges, and point of view concerning project direction/production.
- Working closely with the project Director to establish, interpret, and support the game design. Creates the visual language that directly enhances the core design and offers artistic solutions to design problems.
- Oversee the visual development of the project, encouraging input from team members and specialties but making final decisions on the visual quality, style, and mood of assets.
- Communicate the artistic design and development of the project to the art team (internal) and client (external) through verbal discussions, art specifications, and style guides, including environmental design, character design, prop design, graphic design, lighting, special effects, and reference material.
- Works with the Studio Art VP to build and manage a high-performing team, outline succession planning, manage risk and identify growth opportunities across art disciplines.
- Works with the Studio Art VP to manage performance, write, and deliver performance reviews for team artists. Helps set and direct quarterly goals. Mentors across all levels of the Art team and team members outside discipline on quality, process and best practice with direct correlation to project goals.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience with a successful track record as an Art Director or Art Manager.
- A portfolio demonstrating outstanding work in game visual development.
- Prior experience building, leading and mentoring highly creative teams.
- Excellent team communication and motivational skills.
- Good understanding of 3D computer graphics, gaming platforms and industry trends.
- BFA preferred.