Bring your strength to our cause, inspire awe in those around you, collaborate with like-minded team members and make great games! This individual will continually contribute to the game and to the success of the development team. We are looking for someone with passion for solving difficult technical problems and working with teammates to bring these solutions to life.
- Implement vertical solutions including data persistence, game server code, message protocol, client code, and user interface with attention to product quality, scalability, performance, and security.
- Collaborate in autonomous, cross discipline feature teams to successfully meet team goals.
- Provide ongoing support, improvement, and debugging for existing features.
- Review/buddy check code from other engineers.
- Understand MMO design and technical challenges.
- Profile and make appropriate game system optimizations for speed, memory, or bandwidth.
- Evaluate effectiveness of designer and artist workflows and make game system or tool improvements accordingly.
- Collaborate with production group and relevant stakeholders to drive a feature through the entire feature creation planning, development, and review process.
- Test and maintain code, ensuring that it is clean, easy to use, free of bugs, and reliable in the game.
- Anticipate, identify and articulate technical and developmental risks and obstacles, and generate solutions.
- Program tools and utilities to support work on projects as required.
- Work with proprietary existing software technology, and build new technology, to fulfill the project's technical requirements.
- Estimate programming tasks and inform stakeholders as estimates change.
- Focus on making the best possible game, which requires adaptation to changing requirements.
- Participate in our rotating “on call” schedule with other programmers to resolve the kind of complicated live service issues that require a programmer to resolve.
- Identify recurring or systemic issues affecting our live service or development process and provide long term solutions.
- Adhere to coding standards and make daily decisions that support the studio’s technical roadmap.
- Professional C++ experience.
- 4+ years game development experience.
- Excellent mathematical skills including linear algebra.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Prior ownership of large systems.
- Avid gamer and passion for making amazing games.
- Ability to rapidly jump into new code bases.
- Strong understanding of game systems engineering and passion for high quality code.
- Ability to identify long term technical goals and break them down into small, iterative steps.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with teammates is essential.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Must be able to manage direction and prioritize aspects of a project while understanding overall objectives.
- The flexibility and drive to meet long term deadlines while still taking care of unexpected high priority issues as they come up.
- Ability to develop and maintain software to aid in the testing of new systems.
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills.
In order to complete your application for the Gameplay Programmer position at ArenaNet, please send C++ code samples along with your application. If your code samples are not online, you may send samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is what we are looking for in your code samples:
- Your best work
- Demonstrated breadth of programming skills
- Ability to write readable, maintainable, and efficient code
- Ability to design clear abstractions and clean interfaces
- Appropriate selection of data structures or algorithms
What we are not looking for:
- Code any of your previous employers have prevented you from sending us
- Solutions to simple problems (such as counting the number of zero bits in an integer)
- Straightforward implementations of published algorithms (such as A*)
- Wrappers for existing libraries
- Basic math libraries such as matrix and vector implementations
- Code you wrote years ago that does not reflect your current abilities. We want to see examples of your current skill
This is your chance to impress our engineering department and show us why we should hire you. So, send us a sample of your very best work, something you're proud of. If you don't have anything on hand that meets the above criteria, write some code that does.
This is a full time on-site position at our studio in Bellevue, Washington. A casual, friendly work environment, comprehensive benefits package, a competitive salary, and more are all part of what makes ArenaNet a great place to work. Submit your resume online along with code samples and a cover letter that details why you think you are a great fit for ArenaNet.