Nix Hydra is seeking a 3D artist to join our team. The qualifying person will be a key member on one of two project teams! This is the perfect opportunity for someone who loves working on small teams and having a voice that’s heard in a productive and collaborative work environment.
We are not interested in corporate fluff, big talkers, and people who aren’t 110% competent and dedicated to what they do. We expect everyone on the team to be proactive and take great pride in their craft.
The proper candidate must also be passionate for or enjoy making games of any genre for a heavily female oriented target audience.
Responsibilities (include but is not limited to):
- Be advanced in modeling and texturing.
- Be very good at lighting, be sensitive to and have knowledge of cinematography techniques to create mood and atmosphere.
- Some camera work
- Be a good tester, and have self awareness to validate own work in the build
- Work closely with the Art Director and Environmental Artists to ensure that the visual tone of the project is kept cohesive.
- Be advanced in low poly modeling, and an expert in optiimzation techniques for games.
- Meet regularly with Art Director, Creative Director, other artists, and designers for planning and review.
- Have the ability to take direction, but to also contribute own artistic flare, and be proactive about finding helpful references towards a given project.
- Be comfortable working independently (we don’t need a robot).
- Measure twice, cut once. We believe in planning and so should you. You will be required to write Art Design Documents (ADDs) and provide work estimates for any associated tasks. You must think ahead about what is being built, and how it interacts with everything else in the game. Weird concept, we know.
- We expect anyone we hire to be diverse and understand all areas of game development: more specifically a solid understanding of level design, 2D art, 2D animation, and 3D animation. You don’t have to be a designer, a concept artist, or an animator, just understand them and their needs, and have the ability to communicate with them.
- 3+ year(s) of 3D modeling for games, mobile games a big plus
- Proficiency with Maya
- Strong Photoshop skills
- Experience with at least one bug DB software: JIRA, DevTrack, Mantis, etc.
- Experience with at least one source control software: Perforce, SVN, Alienbrain, etc.
Much more likely to get the job (in order of importance):
- Degree centered in video game development
- Experience with Unity, Havok, or similar game engine
- Shipped a game for a female target audience from start to finish
- Experience with iOS, Android, or Windows Phone platforms
Here are some of the perks you’ll be enjoying at Nix Hydra:
- 4 day work week. We get Mondays off and work 10 hours per day Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Unlimited vacations. Just give everyone a proper heads up, and be considerate of deadlines.
- Health Insurance including medical, dental, vision and chiropractic.
- A helpful & collaborative team. Work with people who love what they do and are happy to pitch in with ideas.
- Monthly game/arts and crafts nights with the best tacos in town.
Be sure to apply to us directly at: email@example.com. DO NOT APPLY THROUGH GAMASUTRA. Please send your resume and a brief, but thoughtful, cover letter. (hint: you will do better if your cover letter sounds like a human, not a job-hunting machine)
Nix Hydra makes magical, colorful and friendly games. Our debut game, Egg Baby, has been downloaded more than 13 million times worldwide and is mostly popular with teen girls. After 3 years of setting the foundation (and making dough!) we are ready to go through our growth spurt, and are seeking aware, brave, and team-oriented individuals to join us on our egg-cellent adventure as we break boundaries and explore frontiers.