Nix Hydra Games is seeking a 2D artist to join our team. The qualifying person will be a key member on one of two project teams! This is the perfect opportunity for someone who loves working on small teams and having a voice that’s heard in a productive and collaborative work environment. As can be observed by the content of this job listing we are not interested in corporate fluff, big talkers, and people who aren’t 110% competent and dedicated to what they do (related: you'll do better if your cover letter sounds like a human, not a job-hunting machine). We expect everyone on the team to be proactive and take great pride in their craft. The proper candidate must also be passionate for or enjoy making games of any genre for a heavily female oriented target audience. Check out our website at www.nixhydra.com and our game Egg Baby for more information about the company and our current products.
Please note that we are very unlikely to sponsor visas and if you aren't in LA already, you must be willing to fly yourself out here to meet us in person before we can hire you.
2D Artists will:
- Concept, flesh out, and polish background and character art.
- Generate game ready assets from source that adhere to strict development guidelines.
- Work with modelers to create textures for 3d environments.
- Be able to match different artistic styles
- and more…
- We expect artists we hire to be versatile, open minded, and communicative. You will be working closely with the creative director, designers and modelers, and should be familiar with all areas of game development. You don’t have to be a designer, an audio engineer, or a programmer; you just have to be able to work and communicate with them.
- Measure twice, cut once. We believe in planning and so should you. You will be required to read GDDs, write ADDs, and provide work estimates for any associated tasks. You must think ahead about what assets you are creating, how long it will take, how it fits with everything else in the game, and plan accordingly.
- Meet regularly with creative director, other artists, and designers for planning and review. This will involve taking constructive criticism and knowing how and when to assimilate feedback from peers.
We are looking for talented artists with experience in digital formats. Please refer to the following qualifications:
Need to have:
- 5+ years of digital art schooling/experience OR
- 2+ year of professional digital art experience
- Photoshop fluency
- Illustrator skill
- Flash skill
- Experience texturing 3D models.
Much more likely to get the job if you have:
- Been an active member of the art team on at least 2 SHIPPED projects from start to finish.
- Been an active member of the art team on at least 1 mobile game from start to finish.
- Experience with at least one bug DB software: JIRA, DevTrack, Mantis, etc.
- Experience with at least one source control software: Perforce, SVN, Alienbrain, etc.
- Been an active member of the art team on a game for a female target audience from start to finish.