Lead Character Artist
Take the chance. Step up to the plate and help knock it out of the park. That’s what this posting is about. Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Character Artist. This seasoned artist will help maintain established quality and artistic consistency of character art, by high visual standards and project style as defined by Art Director. The lead sets the example by the creation of art assets, and a mastery of proprietary technology and tools pipeline and departmental production dependencies. S/he has an understanding of memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, programming, animation, and design concerns, understands lighting basics, and sets best practices for bug fixing. We are expecting the Lead Artist to help implement new production methods to improve performance and efficiency of team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Works closely with Art Director to keep quality and style consistent across all characters.
• Provides direction to character artists for aesthetic and technical considerations
• Sets the tone for character creation with advanced technique
• Maintains a clear and consistent schedule in conjunction with the Project Manager
• Works closely with the Tool and Engine team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve character model quality.
• Participates in the planning for project environments.
• Monitors the needs of rigging, animation, and design to ensure clean handoff for assets
• Works with concept team to insure concepts are at proper production quality
• Supervise bug distribution and verify bug fixes.
• Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Lead Artist will schedule the team, review work for quality, and carry out supervisory responsibilities that include interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience:
• Fifth year college or university program certificate; or seven plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Expert understanding of Photoshop, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Mudbox, and ZBrush (or equivalent).
• Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
• Advanced understanding of complex node based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3, Mental Mill, etc.
• Basic understanding of GgFX, HLSL, or Cg from a technical artist’s perspective.
• Understanding of Perforce.
Other Skills: Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory. The ability to work with detailed concept art or reference art/ materials. Advanced knowledge of human and animal anatomy. Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles. Strong leadership and mentoring abilities and interpersonal skills. Ability to find creative solutions for technically challenging tasks.
If this sounds like the challenge that you are ready for- then we are excited to hear from you. Please use the link and apply directly to the position. Thanks!