SCEA's Bend Studio has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Staff Network Programmer!
This Senior Staff Network Programmer will build and maintain client/server systems that provide highly scalable and secure online services for console and mobile platforms. Develop AMP-based core system services that address the needs of the studio and the online products it supports while maintaining high security, cost efficiency, and expansion capabilities. Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge / Skills: (
- Develop and manage client/server application systems that provide highly scalable and cost efficient online services
- Define and Develop server based architectures that support all prescribed client platforms
- Develop client-side APIs, libraries and methodology to facilitate quick client platform integration
- Develop and maintain server monitoring tools to provide minimal downtime, easy component control, efficient testing, scalable cost efficiency, and security
- Provide ongoing improvement recommendations for performance, cost efficiency, security and reliability
- Interface with other groups internally and externally providing strategy and direction
- Capable of resolving a range of highly complex technical issues to both programmers and other less technical team members. This will include the ability to explain themselves in writing and using a variety of audio visual aids
- Actively maintains skill-set and knowledge base by keeping track of the latest innovations from the industry
- May also have management responsibilities or a formalized leadership role within the programming team. This entails contributing to schedule management needs, providing guidance to support the diplomatic resolution of complex problems, providing input into team performance reviews, facilitating career coaching
- May also represent the studio in outside discussions of our technology where so required
Lists out the job skills that must be met to perform the position (i.e. Managing subordinates; Knowledge specifications)
Required Experience / Education:
- Strong Communication Skills (reading, writing, presentation, and speaking)
- Expert programming skills in C/C++/PHP/MySQL
- Excellent ability to write efficient, clear, maintainable and portable code
- Thorough understanding of current data structures, algorithms and methodologies
- Good math skills
- Experience with the components of modern online systems, including: Virtualization, Cloud Computing, Advanced Security & Encryption, Data Warehousing, Load Balancing and Failover
- Familiar with console game technologies
- Self-motivated and able to drive ideas to completion.
- Excellent skills in socket programming (UDP/TCP)
- At least 3 years industry experience
- At least 3 years network engineering with experience in launching online multiplayer games
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
Preferred Experience / Education:
Job Specifications: Freedom to act:
- At least 5 years industry experience with emphasis on demonstrated networking programming
- Exerts significant latitude in determining objectives of assignment
- Work is accomplished without considerable direction
- May make decisions about the overall direction of a team or project
- May represent the department or project in a leadership role, this could entail interacting with management and outside parties regarding project or personnel matters.
Level of impact:
- Develops resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity.
- Uses judgment within broadly defined policies and practices. Requires identifying problems and recommending new solutions.
- Anticipates change and directs or redirects efforts.
- Erroneous decisions will normally result in the inability to reach crucial project or team objectives or require the expenditure of substantial resources.
- Consequences could have prolonged effects.
About Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) is home to the PlayStation® family of products, including the PlayStation®3 (PS3™), PlayStation® Vita (PS Vita), PlayStation® Mobile and PlayStation®Network. Founded in 1994, SCEA has grown into a leading global computer entertainment brand and continues to redefine interactive consumer entertainment. Since the original PlayStation® first revolutionized the world of gaming, SCEA has repeatedly set the benchmark for innovation in home and portable entertainment through amazing gameplay experiences that inspire people across the world. Based in Foster City, CA, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and employs over 2,104 people in offices located in Foster City, CA, San Diego, CA, Santa Monica, CA and Bend, OR. It is SCEA's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SCEA does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law. SCEA also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled applicants and employees.