Audio Engine Programmer
Did you hear that? It’s the sound of Insomniac Games looking for a core engine programmer who specializes in audio work. We are looking for you to work with the Core team to design, add and modify features of both runtime and audio tool components of the engine. To design, write and modify data and code with a heavy focus on real-time performance and usability. We are looking to you to provide features which can be used in practice to create best-in-class contributions to our games, specifically in the audio arena, and to write and modify tools that will provide access to engine features.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Design and develop audio data and code based on direction and/or feedback from Engine Director or Audio Director.
• Provide audio programming support for existing audio tools, engine and features.
• Work closely with audio team to push the audio quality bar and optimize content creation/implementation workflow.
• Implement new functionality in engine
• Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level programmers & pipelines
• Evaluate, integrate, and enhance third party audio tools and technologies.
• Design and implement tools that allow content creators to quickly iterate on game ideas
• Rewrite existing systems as directed for increased functionality, reduced memory usage, and increased performance
• Respond to bugs and feature requests related to engine code as directed
• Provide technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs
• Complete processor-specific optimization tasks
• Analyze code performance
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Master's degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, with an emphasis on audio technology.
• Strong grasp of mathematical concepts, graphics, collision detection, data transformation, database management and advanced programming techniques.
• Strong knowledge of audio authoring systems such as Pro Tools, and Sound Forge. Understanding of VST and RTAS effect plug-in software and architecture.
• Knowledge of HRTF models and binaural audio formats.
Other Skills Needed:
• Experience with programming audio occlusion, reverb, filtering, digital signal processing, and audio synthesis systems.
• Experience with performance tuning on CPU/GPU, systems development of memory management, streaming, object systems.
• Experience with Wwise audio middleware features and pipeline, Console programming experience.
It’s a tall order to fill – but we know it can be done! Please use the link below and apply directly to the position. We look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!